Zoning & Economic Development Department
Welcome to the City of Grayling’s Zoning & Economic Development Department
Administrator - Erich Podjaske
The Zoning Administrator shall assist with the administration and enforcement of the City of Grayling Zoning Ordinance including receiving and processing application for zoning permits, special use permits, appeals for variances or other matters the Planning Commission or the Zoning Board of Appeals are required to decide. The Administrator shall be responsible for inspection of premises, issuance of zoning permits, and institution of proceeding for enforcement of the provisions of the Zoning Ordinance.
Zoning Administrators Responsibilities:
- Conducts community inspections to assure compliance with zoning ordinance.
- Processes applications for zoning permits, sign permits, and planning reviews.
- Prepare files for the Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals review and disposition.
- Prepares and recommends amendments to the Zoning Ordinance.
- Prepares annual budget for zoning and planning office.
- Field zoning questions
- Review the zoning ordinance
- Works on special projects as assigned.
- Serves as the CCEDP director.
- Performs retention visits with existing businesses in order to get an understanding of how the business is performing and how the local economy is as a whole.
- Come up with new ways to market our area as a place to live, work and play.
- Markets property within the City and County for potential development.
- Works directly with developers in finding property or existing buildings.
- Works with the State on programs and grants for businesses.
- Works with the State on programs and grants for the City, Townships and Count.y
- Creates a list of available and potential sites for future development within the City and County.
- Works with the other townships on sites that would work for future development, both commercial and residential.
- Meets with potential developers to showcase what the City, Townships and County has to offer.
- Helps developers through the process of site plan review, if needed, and designs that would fit current zoning within the City.
- Works with Grayling Main Street.
- Heads Project Rising Tide Committee.
- Attend various meetings throughout the month.
- Monitors the City for any possible zoning violations.
- Work with different boards/committees to get the City's RRC certification.
- Chair of the PRT committee.
- Work on presentations.
- Help individuals connect with the proper agency’s.
THE CITY OF GRAYLING IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND PROVIDER